OSCAR is still a small voluntary organisation registered as a charitable trust whose aims and objectives are:
- To improve public and professional awareness of Sickle Cell Disease.
- To advise and support affected people and their families.
OSCAR ‘s areas of interest include:
- Community Education: We organise conferences to promote public awareness to members of the voluntary and statutory sectors.
- Individual and family welfare: We advise people on their benefit entitlements and we are able to help selected cases on appeal.
- Schooling: We have campaigned for special provision to help children and young people whose education is interrupted by periodical ill-health.
- Employment: We have campaigned for special provision to improve the employment prospects of people with Sickle Cell in the areas of Education, Training and their conditions at work.
A Brief History Of Oscar
During the mid-seventies a young man from London was admitted to hospital having suffered a Sickle Cell crisis. Whilst there he met another man having been admitted with a similar complaint.
Conversation quickly followed which suggested that both of them were involved in support groups that were working towards an awareness campaign around Sickle Cell disease.
Having thought of working closer together during their stay in hospital the decision was taken to combine both support groups and call the new organisation “The Organisation for Sickle Cell Anaemia Research” ‘OSCAR’. This was therefore the birth of OSCAR..
Having been formed and bringing together a number of like-minded people, the inevitable occurred. A small group broke away and formed The Sickle Cell society During the seventies and eighties OSCAR continued to grow, establishing branches in Birmingham, Reading, Leicester, Nottingham, Bristol, Sandwell and Croydon.
The organisation continued to function in support of its members and supporters until the late eighties when problems of identiy and functionalitv once again appeared. At this point it was agreed to relocate OSCAR Head Office to Lambeth, where a thriving branch had been established in 1982.
[boxibt style=”success”]OSCAR Trust
5 Lauderdale House
Tel: 0207 735 4166
Fax: 0207 840
Registered as a Charitable Trust Registration No:1054516
The OSCAR trust does not have a website but is an invaluable resource for those with an interest in Sickle Cell Anaemia.