Body Positive exists to support the 20,438 people known to be HIV positive in the UK today, their families and carers, and anyone concerned about HIV. Our services are provided by a mix of volunteers and staff, most of whom are living with HIV themselves. Last year we provided 16,104 direct services for help and support to almost 8,000 men and women affected by HIV.
Our work now focuses on these main areas, which we believe most accurately, helps people face the many challenges of living with HIV. These main areas are:
- The provision of accurate and up-to-date information service, library and internet lounge. With such a new illness it is crucial to keep up to date with research and medical findings about HIV and AIDS.
- Our training and back-to-work scheme offers a structured framework for those able to return to work to do so.
“Body Positive is providing exactly what the HIV sector has been crying out for: a high quality, cost effective, and entirely relevant range of services. I am confident that the organisation will continue to be a market leader long into the future.”
Commissioning Director, Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster Health Authority.
Body Positive works with over 13,000 HIV positive people to offer the most effective combination of:
- Accurate information on medical, legal and financial matters.
- Comprehensive peer-to-peer support on the emotional and social aspects of living with HIV.
- Clinical healthcare and training services.
- Treatment Advice – in depth, up-to-date information to help clients explore their treatment options.
- Information – we answer over 5,000 enquiries every year on money, housing, nutrition, exercise, safe sex, disclosure, employment and every other subject pertinent to HIV positive people.
- Newsletter – specialist advice and personal accounts make this the leading HIV newsletter. It is distributed to over 5,500 individuals and organisations every month.
- Recently Diagnosed Courses – practical and emotional support to help individuals find the best way forward.
- Gay Men’s Group – HIV positive gay men get together every week to access our whole range of services in a relaxed and safe environment.
Skills for Success
Body Positive is providing an innovative training project for HIV positive people feeling well enough to return to work. This will provide individuals with:
- NVQ accredited training in Customer Care and Business Administration.
- Practical support in job search and career development.
- Substantive work placements with corporate partners.
- Welfare advice on the financial implications of their choices.
- Access to Body Positive’s other support services.
This will offer these individuals increased independence and access to exciting career opportunities.
“Body Positive’s Skills for Success is all about quality assurance and self-determination. These are values which HIV positive people, Body Positive and Bristol-Myers Squibb all hold dear. We are delighted to be the leading corporate supporter of Body Positive in 1998, and we look forward to building a partnership which will be of real and lasting benefit to HIV positive people.”
Dr Mike Thompson
Virology Business Unit Director of Bristol-Myers Squibb
14 Greek Street
Tel: 0207 287 8010
Fax: 0207 287 8020